Which banks are supported by Snoop?

As covered elsewhere, Barclaycard is now re-enabled following our release today.

2 Likes

Just to bring in a question from elsewhere on SnoopSpace, from @Michael

Will there be more account options for providers?
For example my first direct account only pulls through my current account not my credit card and my nationwide account only pulls my current account and not my savings accounts…

Here at Snoop we are interested in connecting as many account types as possible, so we will certainly be looking to extend in the weeks and months ahead.

To pick-up on ‘Savings Accounts’ more generally… Snoop works within a set of rules and systems that are commonly referred to as ‘Open Banking’. Under the regulations that account providers must follow, they must allow their customers to access certain accounts through apps like Snoop. They can do this in a few different ways, but as long as they provide robust and secure technical interfaces (APIs) we would certainly like to connect with them eventually.

However, these regulations only cover something called a ‘Payment Account’. I won’t bore you with the technical explanation of what this type of account is (it’s been the subject to lots of debate in the banking industry :sleeping:). The bottom line is that many savings accounts aren’t classed as this type of product and therefore banks are not obligated to provide access in a lot of cases.

Many banks still do offer us access even though they are not obligated to (which we are obviously very pleased about). Not all do though :unamused:

We are hoping that in time those that don’t already will chance their stance on this because of regulation changes or through increased customer demand. Your feedback here helps us build our case :muscle:

In relation to your FD Credit Card - that certainly is a ‘Payment Account’ and the HSBC group intend to provide access to this very soon. See update in the thread above.

Hope that helps!
Paul

2 Likes

Hello,

Once I have access to my monzo account the authorization was for the pots as well, but current do not show it and generate a lot of “garbage” transactions of money in and out from my pots, specially using the round transactions cents and adding to a pot.
Any plans to support the pots?

Hi @brunosmm a few of our Monzo users have said how important Pots are to them. A few of the team here at Snoop are also big Monzo fans and use the Pots feature regularly. So it’s absolutely something we plan to do more with.

This won’t be something that changes in the next few weeks though, because we want to prioritise getting some of the account providers that are not currently in place into the app first. Some important providers like Amex, Starling, Virgin Money, HSBC Credit Cards and Savings Accounts etc.

Monzo do provide an interface to their pots feature (which we :heart_eyes: them for!), but this is an extension to the normal Open Banking interfaces that all banks provide, so will require some special and extra development for us.

Hearing from our customers on what things are most important to them certainly helps us prioritise any new feature development, so we are always very grateful to get feedback like this.

3 Likes

Is there an update on the timescale for adding Starling, will this include savings pots too?

Hi @Rw_82. Starling and Amex are the 2 most important banks we are working on right now. Our expectation that both of these are available in the next few weeks, but we can’t be any more specific than that just yet.

They are both a little more challenging than some of our other banks because they are not following the standard UK Open Banking specifications. For Starling, that’s because they have been offering APIs a long time before this standard even came into effect (which we love them for, like we do Monzo!).

As a big Starling user myself, I personally can’t wait to get my account linked to Snoop. We’ve had lots of customers ask for this too. I will have to let you know about specific features of the Starling integration a little nearer the time once we’ve tested it fully.

We are working on these two in parallel to a different set of banks that offer the standard interfaces. These are easier for us to enable and we will do so as soon as we are confident in the robustness of interfaces and consistency of the data they provide. The next of these will be Yorkshire Bank and Clydesdale Bank, which will be available next week. See the release notes that will be published shortly in the ‘What’s New’ section.

Hope that helps explain our approach

Thanks for the update @paul_k look forward to starling being added to get a comprehensive view of all my accounts (apart from HSBC, who seem to be out of touch with the digital banking world)

1 Like

HSBC are also extending out their access to Savings and Credit Cards… albeit the timescales of this are still a little hazy!

It is supposed to be in the next few weeks, but there are still various issues being worked through between HSBC and the Open Banking community. I will update on this as soon as we are confident about timescales.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. There are a couple of other providers I dip in and out of, they may already be mentioned but if not would be good to see them added to the list
Freetrade
Moneybox
NS&I premium bonds
Nest pensions
Also the integration of mortgage balance with Halifax?

Thanks @Rw_82, at the moment Open Banking only really covers Current Accounts, Credit Cards and Savings (some, not all).

Providers of other types of financial product or service sometimes have interfaces to allow for apps like Snoop to connect, but at the moment there is no standard, so each integration is bespoke and inconsistent.

We hope that in 2020 as Open Banking becomes more popular and mainstream, regulators and the industry will start extending standards out to other areas of finance and beyond. This will make things much easier.

As always we love to hear what type of connections our customers would like, so please keep the feedback coming :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all - just to say I’ve updated my original post to say that Clydesdale and Yorkshire are now available to all customers.

The ‘B’ and Virgin Money brands (also from the CYBG group) are quite close too. Hopefully with our next release in about 2 weeks time.

Amex and Starling remain our highest priority additions and are being worked on in parallel to the providers mentioned above. As discussed earlier in this thread, these two require additional and complex development which is why they are taking longer. We will get them available as quickly as possible.

2 Likes

Hi there, I’m keen to get the HSBC savings and CC card access in snoop, so look forward to the updates on that when available. I’d also like to see NS&I premium bonds in the list.

Another one for me would be PensionBee. I’ve just used the service to consolidate all of my old pensions. They have built their service with the Open Banking API standards in mind as per this article: https://www.pensionbee.com/press/yolt

1 Like

Hi MrT,

thanks for your post! We’re working through the list of major UK banks and Financial Institutions to get as many as possible into Snoop…we’ll let you know as new ones are made available.

We :heart: PensionBee here at Snoop, thanks for sending though the article and we’ll add them to the list.

Ross

1 Like

Hi @jamiebally Nationwide have issues all afternoon and into the evening, but we think they are mostly resolved now.

We will monitor overnight and take that warning page off as soon as we are confident it’s working.

Sorry about this - it’s been entirely out of our hands today.

Paul

118 money credit card (madison cf)
TransferWise
Monese

I have added my nationwide account but being able to add mortgage account also would be a bonus.

Also for feedback adding PayPal would be amazing! Along with any ongoing loans…
(Sorry if I have repeated any - excited to be exploring snoop right now)

Patiently awaiting the availability of the following which I believe are all in the works…

Starling - Current Account
John Lewis - Credit Card (HSBC)
M&S - Credit Card (HSBC)
Virgin Money - Credit Card

Hi @CaspaTheGhost - Starling, M&S and Virgin Money are all being progressed right now.

I’m afraid It’s not good news on John Lewis as HBSC have recently announced they are not supporting API access to this product (https://developer.hsbc.com/#/europeanImplementation)

We are really disappointed about this as we have a number of customers who have said they’d like to get this account into Snoop. We are hoping that in time HSBC will enable this product too, but it’s not going to happen in the short-term I’m afraid

Paul

Thanks Paul, that’s unfortunate news re John Lewis as I’m currently using it as my main charge/rewards card.

I’ll be making a switch to Amex as soon as they make up with Curve, which is hopefully sooner rather than later!

1 Like

My Barclays account isn’t connecting only my savings account is showing

Hi @User1 can you either send me a direct message with your details or send us an email at hello@snoop.app and I’d be happy to investigate this for you.

1 Like