Starling Bank - Now Available

@hi @clappy10 - nice to hear from you!

Yes we haven’t made Snoop fully mutli-currency enabled yet. So although we will import a range of currency accounts from banks such as Revolut or Starling, these will not show as that source currency in all places today.

The balances and currency will show correctly in places were you are only looking at that one account. However, things like our daily balance notifications, the weekly and month spend summary reports and the spend totals we show are based on £ at the moment.

We will of course be looking to make app functionality support multi-currencies in time. However, there are a few complications we will need to work through (especially on screens and snoops where we provide totals across a range of accounts).

Paul

1 Like

Thanks @paul_k, that makes sense.

I’m sure there a few challenges to getting multiple currencies up and running…

1 Like

Starling is going good, and has been die about a month now. Well done guys for this great work.

3 Likes

@paul_k hi Paul, any update on Starling spaces? They don’t seem to be supported yet unless I’m missing something?

Hi @richbutler - I’m afraid we don’t have any news on this.

We had hoped to deliver this soon after we switched on Starling, however we’ve had to change plans as one of our key Open Banking partners was acquired by a company last Autumn and that forced a change in plans.

We still want to do enable these bespoke savings products - for Starling and Monzo, but we can’t complete this work at the moment. I will certainly update if and when that situation changes.

Paul

1 Like

Understand that plans change, I work in software myself, so thanks for the honesty. Hopefully you’ll get to it soon.

The aggregate view is useful but money saved in Spaces is money that’s in a black hole at the moment. As spaces are only really a UX enhancement rather than separate accounts, it would make sense to show the full balance including what’s in the pots. Perhaps a simple toggle, “include/exclude money in spaces” for Starling/Monzo when viewing the balance would do temporarily? That would still save you from time spent on a complex spaces UI if you already get those figures on the Starling data feed.

Hi @richbutler sadly we don’t have that option at the moment.

Our Open Banking data partner provides a consistent format and single balance across the 50+ banks and providers we connect with. The single balance for Starling is provided for the main current account component (see here for details if you are interested: Starling Developers).

Starling have a separate source of information about the Spaces (the ‘savings goals’ section of their API) which is bespoke to them, not part of any Open Banking standard and hence is not currently looked at by that Open Banking data aggregator. The bespoke work is to integrate with that data source.

So it’s certainly possible to do - and it’s great Starling provide a very detailed API that gives apps like Snoop access to everything like this. However, it does require bespoke development that we hope can get done in future.

Paul

Thanks for the detailed explanation - I hadn’t appreciated that it was outside the OpenBanking standard so that all makes sense.

+1 for future update on Starling Spaces - thanks.

2 Likes

Just to add to the Starling Spaces conversation. With the new Bills space all my bills transactions are shown in there, so are not currently coming across to Snoop

This is a starling issue. Starling doesn’t provide any spaces transactions via the API, so you’ll never see them in third party apps until starling starts providing them

1 Like

I have a Starling Business and personal account, both in GBP and under the same Starling login.

Unfortunately, for the last month or so, the app has never been able to pick up both balances, no matter how often I reconnect the accounts.

In the past, it showed one or the other, but not both - Now it seems to pick up the business one fine, but always shows the personal one as ‘unavailable’.

This seems like it’s a problem other people have had - is there a fix or is this a known problem?

Hi @gavin1971 - we’ve actually recently made a fix to our app to try and deal with this situation. First let me explain the background…

This issue you’ve had is a common situation for people who have more than one account type with Starling. For example people who have single and joint accounts, or those that have personal and business accounts.

All other banks that we connect with a design of their Open Banking journey where all the available accounts are presented for approval in one visit. However, Starling only make it possible to connect one type of account at a time.

Sadly their design was not compatible with how our open banking processes were working, as we need you to select all accounts with a bank in one go to keep everything updating each day. Each time you connect/reconnect one type of account, it would invalidate the setup you had before.

The change we’ve made in the last couple of weeks is (for Starling only) you can ‘add an account’ as many times as you want. Each set of accounts you connect in a single visit is treated as a separate ‘permission’ at the bank and there is no limit to the number of permissions that we hold with them. I hope that makes sense - it’s quite tricky to explain!

So, to fix this in the Snoop app:

• Remove any Starling accounts you have already connected so you start with a fresh set of records with them
  • Hit the ‘+’ icon on the homescreen and select all personal accounts with Starling. Complete the connection process as normal.
  • Hit the ‘+’ icon and select all business accounts with Starling. Complete the connection process as normal.

This should leave you with all of your accounts connected and they should refresh each day normally from there.

If you have any problems - please do drop us a line from within the app so we can investigate?

Paul

1 Like

Thanks Paul, that makes sense - I assumed it was something like that.

I’ll give it a try.

Gavin

Paul, I’ve sent a message from within the app.

Unfortunately the steps you’ve given don’t work.

I can add the personal account with no issue, but when I try to add the business account, I get the “Oh No, unfortunately an error occurred” error every time.

This occurs even if I try to add the business account by itself, with no other accounts connected, so I’m guessing there’s still a bug in the system somewhere…

I’ll wait for a reply to my message from the app.

Gavin

Thanks @gavin1971

We will take a look - we don’t have any messages in our app that start ‘Oh No’ - so I suspect this is something going wrong within the starling app itself. Maybe something specific to your account as I can see other starling business accounts are connected and refreshing ok today.

What I might need from you is a screenshot so I can get them to investigate next week. I’ll send you an email about this.

Paul

Starling weirdly needs you to be in the correct account in the Starling app before you connect the account, so maybe that’ll solve it