Addition of Amazon purchase data for categorisation

Is there anyway to add Amazon purchase data for categorisation?

Yes, we do tend to buy quite a few items from Amazon :slight_smile:

It’d be great if there was some way to automatically categorise based on what the items were
Currently we just have a lot of “Shopping” … OK, it is “shopping”, but for what?

1 Like

Hi @steveculshaw there is no way to get to this information automatically (it’s not the sort of data Amazon would probably like to share).

However, what we have done recently is added the ability to capture ‘notes’ on any transaction. The reason we did that was for things like Amazon transactions where you might want to make a manual note of what it was for.

Just tap on the transaction and scroll to the bottom of the details page and you will see the notes section. Once added, these notes appear in the transaction list so you can see them as you scroll through.

Paul

Nice one Paul

:+1:

I use notes all the time, but it would be good if Snoop automatically entered the bank transaction reference. What I mean is for me, my partner pays me money and adds “Food”, "SpainHols etc in the “Reference” option on their bank transfer.
I have had to spend hours opening their payments, then retyping in there reference, into the Notes box.
Just a thought.

Hi @Mike1 - we should be showing the exact and full description that the bank gives us already.

When you tap on the transaction - at the bottom of the screen just above the notes you will see ‘bank name- description’ and the data shown there is exactly what the bank provides. We don’t do any processing on this particular bit of data (unlike in other places where we might calculate our own merchant name for example).

The description is always exactly what the bank has provided. It would normally match whatever is on your bank statement and should contain the reference you use when making any bank transfer.

If that’s not the case for you, I’d love to understand more. Can you drop us a line at hello@snoop.app with your details so I can take a look?

Paul

You are correct, the info appears once you click on the transaction. But if this bank data was automatically use to populate your notes box, then I wouldn’t have to retype it, so I can see it against the transaction,.

I see @Mike1 - so what you are looking for is to see the full description in our list screen rather than having to tap on each one.

I don’t think we’d want to duplicate every description in Notes as in the majority of cases that would not be useful the majority of transfers we see. Also if the outcome desired was just making the text appear in the list, we’d be better to show the existing description field rather than duplicate it.

The problem is that this field is very long with some banks and often has lots of spurious information included. It would not be very easy to just spot the customer’s specific reference within each transaction description, if you see what I mean.

I’m not sure if it helps, but with our new search feature (launching very shortly) it will be very easy to search for anything in the description or notes fields.

Paul

Hi

I think you are probably correct. I suppose now I have gone through 2 years of transactions adding in notes, then going forward it shouldn’t be too hard to keep on top of it. I have now added dozens of my own categories that I find I can more easily understand what transactions are, without having to click on them to read the transaction note on the following screen.
Overall I am finding Snoop do much better than Money Dashboard. I am looking forward to future enhancements.
One thing that I find annoying, is the ability to change a category for a transaction. On some screens it is allowed, and on other screens it isn’t.

Hi @Mike1 the only place that I can think of when you can’t change the category is if you are tapping into the detail on our ‘spend report’. The only reason we don’t let you change from there is it would immediately invalidate the report that’s still on screen so it would need another one created.

If you are going from any other place in the app (and it’s not a pending transaction) then you should be able to change categories.

Paul

Yes I think that is what I found. If I am looking through the Spend report, then this is where I generally find a category which needs changing. Then I have to remember the date, and then search through my account to track it down to amend. Once again, now I have sorted 2 years of transactions, going forward it probably isn’t too much of a problem. Thanks

1 Like