Custom categories and sub categories

Hey guys,

Thanks for letting me support the beta testing, so far interesting experience.

I can imagine you have fixed categories to help the AI tô auto categorised the transactions, but at the same time it limits my control…
For instance I am not able to see how much I spend with my dog or even understand how much I spend buying lunch during work time… I would love to see how address those things and get more insights…

What is your thoughts?

3 Likes

Hi @brunosmm we certainly have some ideas about this.

We will post updates on SnoopSpace in the weeks ahead, but we are already starting to plan out some new features and that includes some custom categorisation.

Watch this space for that one

4 Likes

No more updates on this?

Hey @alexmay - it’s still on our roadmap and we’ve made some exciting progress designing a whole set of features that will make managing your money easier (including custom categories).

These will be coming into the app in the next few months and we can’t wait to hear what you think of them when they land.

Thanks,

Ross

You’ve been saying it was on the roadmap and talking about the next few weeks for about a year now!

1 Like

Good observation!

I’m glad to hear that the anticipation is still building and can’t wait to hear your feedback when the feature(s) land!

We’re going as quickly as we can :slight_smile:

Ross

Hi there - I am a long term user of Quicken 2000 for Windows, but for some time have been looking for a more up to date, phone based app to replace it. Snoop looks really exciting! Have just downloaded it and have had a good look around. It’s a very slick piece of software, I have to say! I will be evaluating it on an ongoing basis, but my immediate reaction is that there needs to be much more expansion in the Categories. The ‘Shopping’ category is pretty meaningless! Any idea when the next update will happen? Happy to Beta test if you need any users.

Morning @M4RKP and thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

Giving customers the ability to create custom categories has been on our roadmap for a while and I’m delighted to say that we will be rolling it out in the next few months along with some other changes in the app that are designed to make the product more customisable and effective.

please keep an eye on your inbox in the coming days / weeks for a chance to register your interest in BETA testing some of the new features.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with,

Ross

1 Like

I am also very keen for more meaningful categories!

I am a long time user of Money Dashboard, but since this is being discontinued, am looking at Snoop as a possible alternative. What has happened about user defined categories? I can make some comments about Moeny Dashboarsd’s category system:
There is a predefined system of categories in 3 levels. To this you can add your own categories and sub-categories (and sub sub categories) but you can only go 3 deep. And you can;t change the predefined categories. It does not try to allocate transactions automatically to categories - you have to do this manually. When allocating a category to a transaction, you CAN say do the same for all “similar” transactions, which normally works well. I would like to be able to define my category tree all custom (because sometimes the predefined categories conflict with the ones I want to create) and I would like to be able to have more than three levels. Some way of allocating categories automatically would help a lot. I would have thought that with modern AI, based on my previous categorisation, and other people’s categorisation. this should well be possible.

Rowan

Hi Rowan - our categorisation is different to Money Dashboard.

We have a set of standard categories that can’t be changed. You can then setup custom categories which can be called anything, have their own emoji etc. These can be marked as Income or Spending categories and you can chose to have these included or excluded in your spend analysis.

Once you assign something to a new category you can tell Snoop to change all transactions for a given merchant (and all future ones too).

We don’t currently offer sub-categories.

Paul

Would love the ability to rename the fixed, default categories. Some of them don’t quite match what I’m looking for eg. Finance and Home/Family.

2 Likes

Sub-categories, or the ability to create GROUPS of existing categories, would be useful. e.g. grouping, say “Groceries”, “Takeaways” and “Restaurants” all into a group called “Food”.

3 Likes

Yes to this! It makes using the app really cumbersome to have categories that you don’t use (and I also find myself using some categories interchangeably which skews my reports!)

1 Like