Categories - Month on Month Variance

I’ve been updating my categories and trying to use them as a guide for budgets over the last few months. One view which would be great to have is a month on month view by category. This could be a simple list (i.e. show me total spend on “Entertainment” for the last 6 months, and the delta) or via a graphic which shows the total spend per month and potentially an expected trend.

This would then show me if I’m making any expected savings or if my spending is going up in certain categories.

5 Likes

Thanks @Hitesh this is a great idea and we have some ideas around this for the future.

Thanks for taking the time to share this and watch this space for improvements in this area later in the year.

Paul

1 Like

Hello Paul,
I realise this is a 2 year old thread, but has anything been done about this? It feels like a very simple thing to do. For example, I want to see how much I spent on groceries for the last 6 months? I’ve searched around and could not find anything, am I missing something?

Or how much I’ve spent in total. I know you can click and view month by month in the spend analysis page, but can I see a graph or a list of my total expenses over a period of time? Look at a graph and have a general idea of what I’m spending? Again, I’ve failed to find something like that. Any idea where I can find something similar?

Thank you

Hi @Bertan

We do actually provide a feature which does some of what you’re asking for - these are custom spending reports.

If you tap into Spend Analysis and scroll to the bottom of your list of categories you should see an option to ‘create custom spending report’. If you tap into that you’ll be able to select the accounts you’d like to include plus set a date range (for example the last 6 months) and then when the report is generated you’ll see your total spend and income, your average spend per day/week/month and your spend split by category over the period (with transactions listed for each category).

If you’re on regular Snoop you get 3 spend reports included for free. But if on Snoop Plus, these are unlimited.

We don’t yet have a graph showing individual category spend by custom period of time, but that’s certainly on the list and is something we’d love to get to.

It’d be great if you could give this a go and see if this feature helps? We’d love to get your feedback. If you need any help always feel free to email us at hello@snoop.app (or post here).

All the best,
Cara

Hey Cara, thanks for the reply.

I’ve seen the custom spending report, but it’s not what I’m looking for. Let me try to explain a little better.

I’m trying to see what I spend on a specific category month by month. Let’s say for example entertainment. I want to see how much I spent on entertainment a month, for the past 6 months. So I can see if there was a month I spent too much, so I can watch out for that in the future. Or maybe I’ll realise that what I spend on entertainment is getting higher every month.

Same thing with total spend. Yes I can see them one by one on the Spend Analysis page, but that’s not giving me the big picture. I just want to see my total spend every month in a list or a graph. I hope I’m making myself clear.

Thanks,
Bertan

1 Like

Understand completely @Bertan - thanks for expanding.

We’ll certainly chat this through at our next design review. It makes total sense and it would be helpful to many customers I’m sure!

Thanks for the feedback
Cara

Hi did this ever get delivered? It was one of the most useful features on money dashboards but I can’t find anything like it on snoop. :frowning:

Yes @Sarahh - once you setup a budget, you can tap on any category and then you will see a bar graph view of each spend total by month.

Paul