Which banks are supported by Snoop?

Hi everyone - we’ve now added ‘Handelsbanken’ to the list of providers in Snoop.

The original post has been updated.

1 Like

Hi there - I’m just wondering whether Jaja credit cards are on the radar? They acquired / took over what was formerly the Post Office credit card a couple of years ago.

Hi there @ben_c

We are certainly aware of JaJa and we’d love to connect with them.

It’s our understanding that they don’t yet have any interfaces (APIs) that we can connect with. Most banks or card companies provide some sort of page on their website that is aimed at third party services like Snoop, where they outline what connection options they provide. Ja Ja don’t have anything like that at the moment.

Also - we can see that Ja Ja have not signed-up to Open Banking standards in the UK (Directory Archive - Open Banking)

If they ever do release APIs that we can use - we’d certainly be keen to connect with them.

Paul

1 Like

Hello, barclaycard released a Mastercard avios card but this can’t connect onto snoop. Why is this? I contacted her the team at barclaycard and they said to ask you.

I’ve had this problem. The issue is the Barclaycard app which doesn’t seem to behave in the open banking connection flow. It’s not Snoop as the same issue exists when trying to connect other aggregators.

Remove the Barclaycard app then try to connect. You’ll be diverted to Barclaycard web login and linking works via this route. You can then reinstall the Barclaycard app.

Thanks for confirming that workaround @o99

@Fusuy it’s not very helpful of Barclays to tell you to contact us. This problem with Avios cards is impacting all customers and all open banking services / apps like Snoop. It’s very much a Barclays issue not an issue with the apps that use Open Banking.

We raised this with them a few weeks ago and this was their explanation:

While Avios cards should be available for connection, we are currently seeing an issue preventing this which we are investigating. We will keep you updated as we work on a resolution.

They have been updating us regularly - but no resolution yet I’m afraid.

Paul

Thanks for telling me about this workaround. It does work.

2 Likes

Hello! Are there any plans to include crypto.com in the app?

Hello,

Loving the app. Is there a timescale for getting Yorkshire Building Society linked? Money Dashboard has it so I assume it meets the secure API you’re needing.

Thank you!

Hi @alexach and @Megd25

Sorry we don’t have any firm plans for either Crypto.com or Yorkshire Building Society at the moment.

I’ll certainly post here if that changes.

Paul

I’ve updated the original post to reflect three new additions to our supported bank list this month:

• Cater Allen
  • AIB
  • First Trust (a brand of AIB)

Paul

2 months have passed since Iast asked, so thought I’d try my luck again … Any news on Yorkshire Building Society? Thank you :blush:

Sorry @Megd25 but we don’t have any news on Yorkshire Building Society at the moment.

Paul

Is this really true?

I had thought it was true, but there seem to be several payment account providers who don’t bother (e.g. Zopa, Jaja). If it is true, is anyone responsible for enforcing these rules?

For technical accuracy @o99 - under a European regulation called PSD2 (which in the UK is legislated in law by something called the Payment Service Regulations), all payment accounts are required to support ‘Account Information Services’. This basically means the sharing of account data with third party services.

This is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK. This is a summary from the FCA about their role in regulating this area.

All credit cards and current accounts would be considered a ‘Payment Account’ and therefore these rules apply. These definitions are quite tricky to understand but if you want to read more they are defined here.

This normally means via secure APIs (normally just referred to as ‘Open Banking APIs’). For certain and larger banks in the UK, they have extra rules that require them to provide secure interfaces to a certain UK standard.

However, smaller providers are allowed to meet these rules in different ways. This is where some banks / card providers use something called a ‘Modified Customer Interface’ (often called ‘Screen Scraping+’) and this is where you have to share log-on credentials with the third party service. Snoop does not have any plans to support this.

I hope that helps explain it?

Paul

1 Like

@paul_k thank you for the explanation.

There does however seem to be providers which provide neither API nor modified customer interface (Zopa and Jaja are a couple that come to mind). So am just curious who is responsible for enforcement of the rules?

The FCA are certainly the people who would enforce the rules.

If you happen to be a customer of these providers, it would certainly be interesting to know how they answer you, if you were to ask how you access your account through a 3rd party service as per your rights.

Paul

1 Like

Why isn’t metro bank an option

Hi @Louierian1 - we’d love to connect with Metro, but they don’t make it possible as they don’t offer any Open Banking interfaces that apps like Snoop need.

See here for a list of all those who do support Open Banking (and a few like Metro that sadly don’t):

Paul

The original post has been updated as today we have been able to enable John Lewis Credit Card in Snoop.

This is for customers who have taken out the new John Lewis card through the card provider NewDay (rather than an old HSBC partnership that John Lewis used to have).

Paul

1 Like