Category splits

Firstly, I agree with previous user that selecting multiple transactions would be a plus feature.

Also, as a newbie I am trialling both Snoop and YNAB. First impression I prefer Snoop but frustrated that I can’t split categories on a single transaction. So if I go to supermarket and buy shopping plus clothing, perhaps a gift and also get my mums shopping at the same time, I would want to split that transaction into four different categories. This is a make or break for me. Is it something that will be introduced soon??

14 Likes

Hi @Momma_Sue

We’ve recently introduced transaction notes (so you leave notes where useful on specific transactions). I’m afraid don’t have any immediate plans to introduce splitting transactions into different categories.

I’ve certainly shared your feedback with the rest of the team as we are always reviewing which features would be most useful to our customers. For the next few months we will be mainly focussing on new budgeting and balance forecasting features.

Paul

Transaction notes are a great addition, but they are not useful when it comes to analytics. When you for example split a meal and are only responsible for say a third of a bill, the only option is to exclude it or leave it which either way results in inaccurate spending stats. Having transactions only able to be in one category also results in inaccurate stats. As the thread creator highlighted, it’s in other similar personal finance apps. I’m not sure why it’s not at least planned for Snoop if budgeting features are the focus? It’s frustrating especially as Snoop is awesome at everything else, and other users have suggested it as well. Could it be reconsidered?

1 Like

Hi @RazRyan when I wrote my post in December I mentioned splitting categories wasn’t in our immediate focus as we were working on (and have since launched) our big new personalised budget section of the app. We’ve also since launched a number of additional enhancements based on feedback - examples here New App Release (version 6.4).

Splitting categories remains something we’d like to do, but we are not actively working on this yet. We continually review priorities based on a number of factors. Customer feedback is one of the biggest drivers of our priority list and I will certainly share your comments with the rest of our team.

Paul

2 Likes

Hi Paul,

Just in case numbers of requests helps the team at Snoop HQ decide what features to work on next, I would also like to add my name to the request for splitting categories. So many shops are multifunctional! I find myself trying to do multiple transactions sometimes, particularly for places like Amazon, purely to make categorising easier. It doesn’t always work though & isn’t always practical!

4 Likes

Thanks @Scarag7 - I’ve certainly shared your vote for this with the rest of the team.

Paul

1 Like

Hi Paul,
I also would value being able to split transactions as sometimes I will be expecting a refund for part of a transaction so the ability to exclude part of a transaction from spending analysis would be great (I.e. £100 transaction of which £30 will be refunded so splitting transaction into £70 and £30 into different categories).
Is this something you guys are working on anytime soon?
Thanks

1 Like

Thanks @Lukeguildford as per the other thread, we are not working on this just yet but I understand how it would be useful.

Paul

Hi Paul

Just adding my voice to this feature please.

Cheers
Neil

2 Likes

And another +1 from me for this. I’m new to Snoop after migrating from MoneyDashboard, and splitting transactions into multiple categories was something I used very regularly to properly track and analysis spending/budgeting. Please consider adding this to the roadmap!

Cheers,

David

3 Likes

And another vote for this feature. Coming from money dashboard it’s a must. The basic Emma subscription even allows it.

2 Likes

Money Dashboard had a splitting option, which came in very handy. I often ordered lots from amazon and the split option meant I could allocate it to gifts, garden and home say.

My partner often transfers a monthly amount to pay their share of things I have paid for. My purchases are individually logged under the correct category, but it’s impossible to split their one off payment. I am having to resort to requesting numerous bank transfers just so I can categorise into the correct category. Let’s hope this option climbs to nearer the top of the pile

3 Likes

Hi,

I’d also like to add my name to this list. Very useful feature as I’ve just started using Snoop over from Money Dashboard!

Regards,
Usman

+1 to a transaction splitting feature. Coming from Money Dashboard I’m really missing this feature and their implementation was excellent as well.

Any chance us users can get view of your priority list or roadmap?

We don’t currently have a public roadmap @freddyq but I’ve shared the feedback.

Paul

1 Like

Hi. I am also new here from Moneydashboard. I used category splits all the time especially when purchasing from Amazon. A large amount paid to Amazon could have been atleast 3 or 4 categories. This is a real let down that this hasn’t been on your priority list.

1 Like

+1 for this from me also. Splitting transactions (or at least Categorisation) is incredibly useful for merchants offering different types of products - of which there are now many!

Just looking at Snoop as an alternative to Money Dashboard. I use category splits all the time in MD, so would love to see it on here. There are a few other things I’d need to get used to that work different, but this is the main one so far for me. I’ll try it for the three months and see where we go.

1 Like

splitting transactions is pretty essential I’d say when analysing expenditure, so I too am a +1
please take note of the growing number asking … snoop h/o

1 Like

Another one here. I love Snoop but being unable to split a bill into different categories is a major issue. It makes the category stats wrong and therefore pointless.

1 Like